Saturday, April 30, 2011

cwRsync, Windows 7 and UNIX Targets

Lately whenever I've had to rsync anything to my E O N-based NAS from my Windows 7 machine, I've had permissions issues on the NAS.  Specifically, any sub-directories I sync over are created with ridiculous permissions e.g. 0500 or something odd.  No files are able to be transferred until I manually login to the NAS and run a something similar to:

find -type d -exec chmod 0755 {} \;

That got annoying very quickly.

I came across the rsync --no-perms flag which alleviated the problem to some extent in that the directories were at least writable during the initial transfer but the permissions still had to be resolved before transferring anything else over.

I'd gotten used to the whole issue but then came across this post and self-researched answer by karikas that talked about exactly my situation.  Turns out it's a known issue of cygwin (which is what the cwRsync application is using) and Windows 7.  The solution is to set the following environment variable in Windows 7:

set CYGWIN=nontsec

No comments:

Post a Comment